Thursday 12 March 2015

The Newest News

One of my goals of this project was to learn more about eating disorders. I wanted to learn more about this because I am interested in the human body and how it works, especially put under more unhealthy circumstances. There were many parts of this complex subject I hadn't previously known, so I took the time to research in detail what I need to know about the topic. The disorder I learned about was anorexia.

The disorder I researched this week was anorexia. This sickness comes from a fear of gaining wait, particularly when the person is very thin already. Mentally they believe that they cannot gain weight, they just need to lose weight. It can have several causes, especially change. For example, losing friends or family, traumatic life events, where you live, your personality, and genetics. One interesting thing I found while researching this subject is that anorexia is 85-95% females, it is much more uncommon among males. This interested me because I feel as though women have much more pressure than men when it comes to physical appearance. There are media influences everywhere showing what society likes to think of as "perfect", which is what many girls strive do be. As a friend or family member, I must imaging it would be very difficult to watch someone starve themselves because they don't believe they are beautiful.

Being a Christian, I like to relate topics like this to the bible. The first mind that comes to mind is 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honour God with your bodies." He created us all in his image, and he wants us to honour him with our bodies. We are fearfully and wonderfully made, and I believe that everyone has the right to know this. We should help those that struggle to understand this truth.


If you want to read more about anorexia, you can click on the web address below.

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/anorexia-nervosa.html

No comments:

Post a Comment